The Unrelenting Economic War on Cuba
Here’s a laundry list of examples in which Cubans have been deprived critical medical aid due to the blockade:
- Cuban children suffering from cancer of the retina cannot receive effective treatment because the surgical microscopes and other equipment needed for this treatment are sold exclusively by the U.S. company, Iris Medical Instruments.
- The National Institute of Oncology and Radiobiology in Havana cannot use radioactive isotope plaques for the treatment of retinal cancer as they are sold exclusively by U.S. companies, thereby requiring doctors to remove the affected eyes of children altogether rather than treat and preserve them.
- Nearly 1600 Cubans a year are denied effective diagnosis of cancerous tumors because Cuba cannot obtain the necessary German-made optical coherence tomography – an item prohibited by the embargo because it contains some American-made components.
- Cubans are denied the drug temozolomide (Temodar) necessary for the effective treatment of tumors of the central nervous system.
- Cuban children are denied the benefit of the U.S.-made Amplatzer device which could help them to avoid open heart surgery.
- Cubans were denied $4.1 million for treating AIDS, Tuberulosis and Malaria when these monies were seized by the U.S. from an NGO which had earmarked those monies for Cuba.
- Cubans were denied the funds designated by the United Nations Program for Development for Cuba’s health care system when those monies were seized by the U.S.
- Cubans are denied critical drugs for treating bone cancer and HIV AIDS.
The lengths some will go to, to destroy the danger of a good example.
Well worth reading.
Read the Counterpunch review